FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
August 3, 2022
“GUESS WHO?” HIGHLIGHTS SCHMIDT’S TRACK RECORD OF SIDING WITH BROWNBACK, KOBACH OVER KANSANS
Topeka, KS – Today, on the heels of the primary election, the Kansas Democratic Party launched a new interactive digital platform to remind Kansas voters that Derek Schmidt – the extremist Republican at the top of the ticket – cannot escape his track record of standing with Sam Brownback and Kris Kobach and their extreme, unpopular policies that do not align with Kansans’ values.
“From wasting taxpayer dollars, and tanking the state’s economy to underfunding our public schools, Derek Schmidt has been in lockstep with Kris Kobach and Sam Brownback as Kansans felt the consequences of these harmful policies,” said Emma O’Brien, spokesperson for the KDP. “Since it can be hard to spot the differences between their records – and as Derek Schmidt continues to try to run on anyone’s record but his own – we’ve launched this helpful resource for Kansans to see the real Derek Schmidt – the one that sides with Sam Brownback and Kris Kobach over Kansans.”
Schmidt has a long history of standing behind Sam Brownback and Kris Kobach:
- Schmidt spent a decade and at least $1.4 million of Kansas’ taxpayer dollars defending Sam Brownback’s tax cuts to public education that resulted from the “tax experiment.”
- Schmidt stood by Brownback as he drained the Kansas Highway Fund of nearly $2 billion to fund his “tax experiment.”
- Schmidt prolonged a lawsuit he inherited from Kris Kobach that aimed to strip tens of thousands of Kansans of their right to vote. Bound to fail, this lawsuit cost Kansas taxpayers nearly $2 million.
- Like Kobach and Brownback, Schmidt, too, has a lengthy track record of discriminating against LGBTQ+ Kansans & opposing gay marriage.
- Despite its popularity among over 7 out of 10 Kansans, Derek Schmidt aligns with Sam Brownback and Kris Kobach in their opposition to Medicaid expansion.
Take the “Guess Who?” quiz here to see for yourself.