Jan. 13, 2018
HIRING: Political & Data Director
NOTICE: This position has been filled.
Topeka, KS – The Kansas Democratic Party (KDP) is looking for a skilled, versatile political professional up to the challenge of being dual-hatted as both the Political & Data Director. This person will report to the Executive Director, and work closely with the Chair and other Party Officers.
The Political Director aspect of the job will focus on building a powerful and effective political program that integrates our state, district, county, and local work, including serving as the liaison between elected officials, congressional district committees, local democratic Committees, Caucuses and Constituency groups, Coordinated Campaigns, and other appropriate organizations to build stronger grassroots capacities for Kansas Democrats.
The Data Director function will include administering the statewide voter file database (Votebuilder), and providing the data analytics necessary for electoral success.
Political & Data Director position responsibilities include:
- Support 2018 campaigns with strategic planning and tactical training
- Work with other KDP staff to ensure that the KDP and its campaigns have the support of key stakeholders, local leaders, opinion makers, and elected officials
- Build relationships with local leaders, allied organizations, key stakeholders, and activists in preparation for a statewide campaign effort
- Work closely with KDP Executive Director and the Chiefs of Staff for Kansas House and Senate Caucuses to recruit candidates to run for office
- Develop an annual customized priority work plan for outreach to different constituency groups
- Organize and conduct regular conference calls with allied groups (i.e. labor, environmental, faith, etc)
- Act as an informational resource for candidates and campaign managers to familiarize them with KDP practices and procedures
- Attend county and other party meetings and help build the KDP in the parts of Kansas in which it needs to be strengthened
- Organize, plan, and execute all meetings of the State Committee as required by State Party bylaws
- Act as a liaison between County Chairs and the Executive Director and Chair
- Develop training programs for the State Party, including grassroots organizing, precinct training, County Chair, Executive Committee, and candidate training sessions
- Provide support to county chairs, caucus chairs, precinct committee members and Democratic activists
- Contact county chairs and caucus chairs individually once a month and provide a detailed report of those conversations to the Executive Director
- Create County Books for each organized county in Kansas for the KDP and its campaigns that identifies key stakeholders, local leaders, opinion makers, and elected officials who shape the electoral landscape within the county
- Maintain Kansas’s Voter File (VAN) in partnership with the DNC
- Provide real time customer support and troubleshooting for VAN users and committees
- Execute quarterly data hygiene tasks to ensure the highest level of accuracy and pruning of expired data
- Create and establish training programs for the VAN with a focus on new technology and tool adoption.
- Maintain the Voter History SQL Database and Arbor data
- Track and disseminate analysis of voter contact results, early vote and absentee turnout, voter registration, and other data relevant to campaigns and caucuses
- Create and maintain survey questions, activist codes, and other VoteBuilder infrastructure
- Maintain the State Party My Campaign database
- Provide timely and relevant analysis of data and field requests for specialized research projects, many of which require rapid turnaround
- Collect raw political data from County Boards of Elections and other sources and convert to usable form for analysis; scrubbing and matching acquired lists back to the voter file.
This is a full time position based at the Kansas Democratic Party Headquarters in Topeka, Kansas. Weekend and evening hours as needed for events, travel, and project deadlines. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Interested persons should send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Political & Data Director.” Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
No person shall be discriminated against in seeking employment with the Kansas Democratic Party because of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, height, weight, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, economic status or disability.