Kansas Wildfire Relief Efforts

March 12, 2017

Kansas Wildfire Relief Efforts

This page is dedicated to providing relief to victims of the Kansas wildfires. Please find a list of options where you can donate money, supplies, or volunteer following the statement from our chair, John Gibson.

We “Must Begin to Rebuild”

As the wildfires that have demolished great areas of Kansas are finally reaching containment, those affected – whether it be losing their homes, their livelihoods, or suffering injury – must begin to rebuild. And we must be there to help. It is in the true fabric of Kansans to look after each other – and I call on Democrats statewide to do that alongside the Kansas Democratic Party.

These fires are the worst that our state has ever encountered, and have devastated entire communities. I am awed by the incredible bravery and selflessness of our folks who have involved themselves in supporting their fellow Kansans. We must also honor our firefighters, police officers, and emergency workers who have risked their lives in such a hazardous environment. As we pause to reflect on this today, I encourage those who were fortunate enough to be unaffected to give what we can to support the communities affected. If we work together, Kansas will rise from the ashes to become even stronger and more resilient than before.

There are so many ways to help. You can donate money and/or supplies to charities and causes. If that is something you are unable to do, you can volunteer your time to those charities and causes, and to rebuilding those communities.

It is times like these where our Kansas motto holds the dearest meaning. Ad Astra Per Aspera – to the stars through difficulties.

John Gibson

Chair, Kansas Democratic Party


What can you do to help?

“For those reaching out a helping hand to Kansas ranchers the Kansas Livestock Association has initiated a relief effort for the victims of wildfires across the state. More than 20 Kansas counties were affected by the wildfires.

The most impacted areas lost fences, forage resources, harvested feed and an undetermined number of cattle, as well as homes and outbuildings.

The KLA is organizing hay and fencing material donations for delivery. To donate, call the KLA at 785-273-5115. Cash donations can also be made through the Kansas Livestock Foundation, KLA’s charitable sector, by visiting www.kla.org/donationform.aspx. Donations to the foundation will be used to assist ranchers affected by the wildfires and are tax deductible.

The Giles Ranch in Clark County has a GoFundMe page to help with the rebuild of a home and recovery of a 30,000 acre ranch damaged in the Starbuck Fire.”

  • United Way of the Plains

“United Way of the Plains is partnering with United Way of Reno County and United Way of Dodge City to respond to the wildfires in those areas. A disaster fund has been created for anyone wishing to make a monetary contribution to help with long term recovery efforts. 100% of all donations will go to assist those affected by the fires.

We offer three easy ways for you to make a donation today.

Mail: Make checks payable to United Way of the Plains and include “Reno County Fire” or “Ford County Area Fires” in the memo. Mail to United Way of the Plains, 245 N. Water, Wichita, KS 67202.

Text to give: Text TEAMWORK to 41444. You will receive a link to complete your gift online.

Questions? Dial 2-1-1 for more information.”

Material Donations:

Individuals wishing to donate items to help emergency personnel or victims should call 2-1-1 (United Way’s 24-hour information line). Callers can have their items added to a “virtual warehouse”. The item(s) and donor(s) will be tracked and items will be requested as needed.


Dial 2-1-1 for the status of volunteer opportunities available.”

  • The Salvation Army and Red Cross “are coordinating the feeding of first responders, so food donations are not needed.”
  • The Reno County VOAD (Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster) “is accepting monetary donations to assist those without resources to repair and clean up damage from the fires.

Those donations should go to the Hutchinson/Reno County Disaster Recovery Fund at the Hutchinson Community Foundation, P.O. Box 298, Hutchinson, KS 67504-0298 or Disaster Fund at United Way of Reno County, P.O. Box 2230, Hutchinson Kansas 67504-2230.”

  • The Buhler Education Foundation “has established a USD 313 Fire Victims Account at First National Bank for all USD 313 families who have suffered damage from the fires. Deposits can be made at any FNB location. All proceeds will go to the fire victims. The foundation is seeking only cash donations at this time because exact needs of families affected have not been determined.”
  • The Kansas Farm Bureau

“In an effort to help, Kansas Farm Bureau is offering to connect those who need help with those who can provide it.

The site: www.kfb.org/firerelief will connect those who are donating supplies like fencing and building materials and labor to those in need.

“We used this technology last year during the Anderson Creek Fire,” says Rich Felts, President of Kansas Farm Bureau. “It was utilized heavily during that fire event, so we’re bringing it back.”

Farm Bureau encourages those who want to donate and help in the rebuilding process use the www.kfb.org/firerelief site so resources can be implemented efficiently.”

  • Dillons and KAKE-TV

“Dillons and KAKE-TV are asking you to join with us to help with wildfire disaster relief efforts. From March 8 through March 14 just ask your Dillons cashier to round your bill up to the nearest dollar or tell them if you’d like to make a larger donation.

Donations will go directly to the American Red Cross to help people affected by the Kansas Wildfires. The Red Cross is on the ground supporting families impacted and the first responders battling the blazes, providing warm meals and basic essentials. The Red Cross is also supplying breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and hydration to first responders, as well as beginning to guide people on the long road to recovery.

The Kansas Division of Emergency Management advises anyone wishing to contribute to ongoing disaster relief efforts to donate cash to disaster relief organizations rather than donating goods.”

  • Farmers Cooperative

“An immediate need for area ranchers is hay. The Farmers Cooperative (S. Central Ave.) in Coldwater and Farmers Cooperative Equity Company (1447 NW River Road) in Medicine Lodge have been identified as locations to receive hay donations. Tractors will be available to unload. Questions on delivery logistics can be directed to Sandra Levering at (620) 518-2247 for Coldwater or Chris Boyd at (620) 243-2584 for Medicine Lodge.”

Share Your Support

Share Your Support

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter Close